Skip to main content

Trip#3 for 2023 - South Korea - 1 Week

Concluding my Tokyo stopover.  Prepared to head over to South Korea for a week.  Pretty much it was hang out in Nampodong and spend time with family.

  1. Day 1 - Flight Tokyo —> Busan
  2. Day 2 - Ananti Hilton & Lotte Outlets
  3. Day 3 - Nampodong - Family Dinner
  4. Day 4 - Nampodong - Lotte Mall
  5. Day 5 - Nampodong - Lee’s Pizza
  6. Day 6 - Busan Coastal Walk
  7. Day 7 - Flight back to LAX via HND
1st Day - Arrival into Busan from Tokyo.
Got a hair cut and ate dinner at a Pork BBQ restaurant.  Kept it simple as I was up since 4 am in Tokyo and spent over an hour standing on a crowded train.

Going to chill and not walk about as much.



2nd Day - Ananti Hilton Busan
Stayed a night at Ananti.  Very nice hotel and can’t get this level of luxury stateside for $300 a night.










Had lunch at Lotte Premium Outlets while doing some shopping.  The Tonkatsu was good, but Japan is still better.  The Outlets are not really an ‘outlet’ and only slightly cheaper than a regular mall.  Both however are cheaper than stateside for the brands that I’m seeking like Uniqlo and ABC Mart.



3rd Day - Nampodong - Family Dinner
Today’s Buddha’s Birthday and went to a mountain temple.  Afterwards, ate chachamyun for breakfast before dinner in Nampodong.




4th Day - Nampodong Lotte Mall
Finally had some time to check out Uniqlo.  They had my Supima Cotton shirts and Korea like Japan are vanity size so an XL here is a L in a US based Uniqlo.

Ate lunch in the food court.  The bibimbahp has an unusual taste but was interesting.  Coffee as always is very light almost watery in Korea.





Ever favorite.  Vending machines.  Always inexpensive.


Had some craft beers at home.  The Pilsner was good.  Rest were ehh.  For 2000 won these were all a great deal.



5th Day - Nampodong - Lee’s Pizza
Just chilled and walked around Nampodong.  Picked up some memory foam shoe inserts at ABC Mart and they are like magic and I was able to do 9k steps with no foot pain.  The Men’s Memory Foam fits a 9.5M Jordan 1’s perfectly.

I ate lunch at Lee’s Pizza and it’s changed a bit from last I remember it in 2018.  It’s still good, but not like before.  Could be my tastes have changed.






Had some Dalgona Coffee.  I don’t normally drink something this sweet.  But it’s not often I’m in Korea, so why not?  It was way too sweet though.



6th Day - Beach walk and cruising about Busan
Taking it slow and relaxing.  Enjoying the sights, eating and drinking.  Ate Kal gook soo noodles at Chungmudong market.



Had iced coffee at the Jeolyeong coastal walk.







It wasn’t opened, but I had lunch and coffee at this restaurant on a previous visit called Mok Jang Won.  Very nice landscaping and decor.  The cafe opens at 11 am.





7th Day - Return to USA
In hindsight this was nuts.  I took total of 4 flights starting at 4 pm from Busan Gimhae Airport to Seoul Gimpo Aiport.  Gimhae to Gimpo was a quick 1 hour on a tiny A200.  The Gimpo to Haneda is on a a larger A321 that was the most modern plane I’ve ever flown on.  You can use Bluetooth headphones with their inflight entertainment system.

Travel Tip - Gimpo Airport has a free shuttle bus.  Take Stop 8 from Domestic Terminal and wait 2 stops to get to the International Terminal.  The stop in between is the parking garage, ask the driver if you’re not sure.



Gimpo to Haneda had a nice meal.  While not my first choice it was a tomato seafood spaghetti.  Fruits were excellent.  Salad was ok.  They use metal utensils which is nice.



A 3 hour layover in Haneda was brutal at first as it’s late and most shops are closing like 7-Eleven.  The vending machines take credit card so that was helpful in getting bottled water.  Temps are humid and warm until 10 pm then some seating areas near AC vents are perfectly cold.

I got to ride on the ANA Star Wars themed R2D2 plane.  Kinda cool but other than some theme music and paper R2D2 cups it’s not really any different from a regular 787.

They started with a light snack of a sandwich, crackers and water.  It was a little messy, but tasty.



I fell asleep and missed the main dinner meal.  But I had it before on other flights so not a big deal.  I was awake for breakfast and it was acceptable.  It could have done better with some condiments like ketchup and maple syrup as it had potatoes and pancakes.  The paper R2D2 coffee cup was cool.





And this concluded my epic international portion of my 2 week journey.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sony MDR-ZX100 vs ZX-110 vs ZX310 Series Headphones

By happenstance I own several Sony ZX Series Headphones: ZX-100 ZX-110 ZX-310 Build Quality (ZX-310 Wins) They use mostly a Plastic Build that is quite durable; the ZX-100 I've had for over 2 1/2 years and been thrown about in my Backpack & Car.  The ONLY issue with the lower model ZX-100 & ZX-110 Series are the crappy Earpads that disintegrate and create a flaky vinyl mess.  Those flakes then get stuck to your ears & hair.  The ZX-310 wins in that regard with much better quality Earpads. Cost (ZX-100/110 Wins) ZX-310's cost about twice that of the ZX-100/110 and I've been able to find several 310's for about $18 at Discount Retailers.  ZX-110's should go for about $10. Specs They are all 30mm Drivers.  The ZX-310 has a wider Frequency Range of 10 ~ 24,000 Hz and a Gold 1/8" Plug.  The ZX-100/110 are roughly identical going 12 ~ 22,000 Hz. Sound (ZX-100 Wins) Surprisingly, I prefer the ZX-100's Sound Signature vs. the 110 and 31

Casio G-Shock 5600 vs 6900 vs 9000

Having now owned several G-Shocks I've come to appreciate certain features of various models.  For most part all I care about primarily is 'size'.  Features are secondary and so long as it has World Time, I'm happy. Size (5600 wins) In terms of size the 5600's are my favorite, but the convenience of the illumination button front and center on the 6900 is beautiful. The compromise?  It has to go to the 9000 series Mudman.  While the buttons are difficult to press it is the right size and button arrangement that just connects with me as one of my favorite G-Shocks thus far.  Now Module versions this is probably a bad selection to compare as I have a GLX, G and DW types.  But form factor wise they are roughly equivalent representatives of their model series.  There are certainly much larger G-Shocks, but for me the 6900 is where I will draw the line for now. Features (G9000 Wins, GLX5600 Good Second) Most G-Shocks have the standard basics down pat and all I car

Eton Microlink FR160 Radio -- Sticky Residue

I bought an Eton Microlink FR160 Handcrank Radio for my Emergency Kit a few years ago and it's great, except for one thing....over time a sticky residue coats the radio's external surface.  It was driving me nuts and I thought something was wrong. Fortunately, rather than dump it I researched online and learned Eton Radios are coated with a substance to make them easier to grip, but over time it degrades and becomes a sticky mess.  Some isopropyl alcohol and cotton balls can clean most of the gunk.  Some paint maybe lost in the process, but the radio at least is not sticky anymore.