Skip to main content

Daiso - Foldable Backpack - $4 // Don't buy it

I’ve been wanting to invest in a foldable backpack and was considering Osprey and some other brands, but wasn’t ready to spend $30 dollars or more.

Instead, I got a Foldable Backpack from Daiso for only $4.  I needed something to carry a water bottle and some snacks while out and about; this bag was perfect!

But for $4 understand you are getting an ultralight bag with very thin material and weak zippers.  Treat it gently and it’ll work fine.  The instruction tag also warns to avoid moisture so it’s probably not water resistant and could get soaked.

Plenty of Pockets

This thing comes with a main compartment, a smaller compartment (where it also reverses and folds back into) as well as two side mesh pouches that can fit a small bottle of water.  There is also a small hanging pocket within the main compartment.

I found the pockets quite useful, although I wouldn’t put anything expensive or valuable in the side mesh pockets, I just stowed cheap water bottles.

Watch the Straps

CAUTION on the shoulder straps, they don’t have a thicker end cap and will skip right off the buckles if tugged hard enough.  I’m probably going to heat treat the ends on mine to make an end cap and help prevent the straps from coming undone.  I didn’t have an issue while hiking with this bag, but at certain angles I could easily yank them free.

Folds Big but limited capacity (13 Liter)

It folds down to about the size of an iPad Mini so it’s too big to fit in a regular pant pocket and when unfolded into a backpack it can carry a few items, maybe a sweater and some other gear, but it doesn’t compare to the capacity of one of my basic Jansports, which have been my go to bag for trips even with the added weight and size.

By the specs it appears to measure 13 Liters (42 cm x 31 cm x 10 cm).  In contrast my Jansport Superbreak is 26 Liters (42 cm x 33 cm x 21 cm).  About half the capacity but similar height and width.

Closing...for $4 it’s worth it as a temporary bag

For $4 you can’t go wrong with this bag.  Just pack it light.  I’m on the fence if I’d rely on this exclusively while on trips as I prefer and am happy with my Jansport bags, but I can see this chilling in my car and when I need a backpack.

I’ll field test this for a while and use it while outdoors and to the gym.  Normally, my Jansport would handle those chores.

Update - 5/16/21 - One Week Review

The bag is holding up okay and I'm comparing it with my standard Jansport, which of course is superior in every way except portability.  For quick trips outdoors, I'm finding the Daiso bag is more than adequate.

The drawbacks remain the weak zippers and lack of length on the shoulder straps.  So long as you take your time and remain mindful you won't have fear of snagging a zipper or fumbling with the shoulder straps.

It fits nicely in the side compartment of my car and I'm finding its more useful than my spare Jansport in the trunk.  One obvious advantage is its very slim profile and its paper thin where you barely feel like you are carrying a backpack, unlike the thicker and padded Jansport.

Update - 6/5/21 - Bag Broke - 3 Weeks and Done

Don't buy this bag, unless you are okay with using it only a few times.  The seams are weak and after putting in a small lunchbox and water bottle a hole appeared on one of the upper seams.

These paper-thin packable bags are not worth it and meant for single use.  A terrible proposition considering these bags are made of plastic and polyester.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sony MDR-ZX100 vs ZX-110 vs ZX310 Series Headphones

By happenstance I own several Sony ZX Series Headphones: ZX-100 ZX-110 ZX-310 Build Quality (ZX-310 Wins) They use mostly a Plastic Build that is quite durable; the ZX-100 I've had for over 2 1/2 years and been thrown about in my Backpack & Car.  The ONLY issue with the lower model ZX-100 & ZX-110 Series are the crappy Earpads that disintegrate and create a flaky vinyl mess.  Those flakes then get stuck to your ears & hair.  The ZX-310 wins in that regard with much better quality Earpads. Cost (ZX-100/110 Wins) ZX-310's cost about twice that of the ZX-100/110 and I've been able to find several 310's for about $18 at Discount Retailers.  ZX-110's should go for about $10. Specs They are all 30mm Drivers.  The ZX-310 has a wider Frequency Range of 10 ~ 24,000 Hz and a Gold 1/8" Plug.  The ZX-100/110 are roughly identical going 12 ~ 22,000 Hz. Sound (ZX-100 Wins) Surprisingly, I prefer the ZX-100's Sound Signature vs. the 110 and 31

Casio G-Shock 5600 vs 6900 vs 9000

Having now owned several G-Shocks I've come to appreciate certain features of various models.  For most part all I care about primarily is 'size'.  Features are secondary and so long as it has World Time, I'm happy. Size (5600 wins) In terms of size the 5600's are my favorite, but the convenience of the illumination button front and center on the 6900 is beautiful. The compromise?  It has to go to the 9000 series Mudman.  While the buttons are difficult to press it is the right size and button arrangement that just connects with me as one of my favorite G-Shocks thus far.  Now Module versions this is probably a bad selection to compare as I have a GLX, G and DW types.  But form factor wise they are roughly equivalent representatives of their model series.  There are certainly much larger G-Shocks, but for me the 6900 is where I will draw the line for now. Features (G9000 Wins, GLX5600 Good Second) Most G-Shocks have the standard basics down pat and all I car

Eton Microlink FR160 Radio -- Sticky Residue

I bought an Eton Microlink FR160 Handcrank Radio for my Emergency Kit a few years ago and it's great, except for one thing....over time a sticky residue coats the radio's external surface.  It was driving me nuts and I thought something was wrong. Fortunately, rather than dump it I researched online and learned Eton Radios are coated with a substance to make them easier to grip, but over time it degrades and becomes a sticky mess.  Some isopropyl alcohol and cotton balls can clean most of the gunk.  Some paint maybe lost in the process, but the radio at least is not sticky anymore.