Skip to main content

My HP 15-AB292NR Laptop - i7-6700HQ - upgrading to an SSD - an absolute must!

I'm upgrading my HP i7-6700HQ model 15-AB292NR (purchased 2016) with a new SSD (solid state drive), a 1TB Crucial BX500 3D NAND SATA 2.5 drive purchased for $100 from Amazon.

Specs of the HP 15t Model 15-Ab292NR
  • Processor - Intel i7-6700HQ
  • Ram - 8 GB
  • HDD - 1 TB
  • GPU - Intel Graphics 530
  • 15.6" IPS Screen
  • DVD Writer
  • 802.11AC
  • OS - Windows 10 Home
  • Battery Model - ki04 (KI04) 
HQ for H = High Quality and Q = Quad-Core.  It's a step below the unlocked K version, but otherwise is fairly decent.

    Why Upgrade the i7?
    The HP i7 has been my main Window OS machine as I still need it for certain functions and recently I've been using it daily as I'm stuck at home.

    Normally, I spend most of my time on my Linux laptop (HP i3-4010u) that has always been faster than even an i7 running Win10; crazy how that works!  But being that I need to spend more time on Win10, It'll boost the speed by switching to an SSD.

    Does SSD improve speed?  No, but it reduces load times.
    To clarify, the CPU and RAM determines the speed of a PC.  Where an SSD helps is reduce wait times for things to load.  Quite a bit of the bottleneck that we view as 'speed' is the HDD cranking away on a queue of requests from the CPU.

    An SSD reduces the queue time.  What took 1 minute to load, takes 20 seconds with an SSD.  For most people this would appear to make the PC run 'faster' and yes, load times have been reduced.

    For most, this is nuance...if they have Microsoft Word open in 1 second vs. 5 seconds...that means the PC is faster.  If you measure speed that way, then yes an SSD boosts speed.

    Upgrade Windows! Default is Build 1511 // EOL End-Of-Life 2017
    If you decide to upgrade the hard drive (or do a factory restore), remember to upgrade Windows 10.  The default is build 1511 that was EOL (End of Life) in 2017.  The more current build is 1909 (November 2019).

    You may encounter problems like I did and you can fix that by downloading the Microsoft Update Assistant.

    Final Thoughts
    Install was straight forward and I relied on a Youtube video to help guide me.  Overall, I'm satisfied and happy with the SSD upgrade.  Things are a bit snappier and certain features like a full virus scan or initial boot times are lightning quick.

    While, I debated on opting for a smaller 500 GB SSD for half the price ($50) and swinging the savings to snag an 8 GB RAM upgrade, 1 TB is a better long term choice as I can easily stay below the 70% max utilization.  From what I've researched online, most people recommend keeping at least 30% free space on a SSD to avoid speed degradation.  With a 1TB that means I have at least 600-700 GB of capacity.

    NOTE: I also purchased an external HDD case to convert the original 1 TB HDD into an external HDD.  A good deal for $10.  After a few weeks, I'll format the old 1 TB and use it as backup storage.

    Update 8/27/20 -- Disable Defrag!
    Didn't realize Windows 10 has a default setting that defrags the HDD every week.  Defrag is generally pointless for an SSD and can actually shorten its life.

    If you have an SSD the consider disabling the auto defrag.  Defrag makes sense on an older mechanical HDD where defrag reduces mechanical latency, thus boosting efficiency.  But that's irrelevant on an SSD that has no moving mechanical parts.

    Update 5/14/2023 - This baby still running

    The SSD is an absolute must have upgrade for any laptop still running old school magnetic drives.  There is just no reason to run an old magnetic drive as SSD's are even cheaper.  I'm finding it has breathed new life into my now 7 year old HP laptop.


    Comments

    Popular posts from this blog

    Sony MDR-ZX100 vs ZX-110 vs ZX310 Series Headphones

    By happenstance I own several Sony ZX Series Headphones: ZX-100 ZX-110 ZX-310 Build Quality (ZX-310 Wins) They use mostly a Plastic Build that is quite durable; the ZX-100 I've had for over 2 1/2 years and been thrown about in my Backpack & Car.  The ONLY issue with the lower model ZX-100 & ZX-110 Series are the crappy Earpads that disintegrate and create a flaky vinyl mess.  Those flakes then get stuck to your ears & hair.  The ZX-310 wins in that regard with much better quality Earpads. Cost (ZX-100/110 Wins) ZX-310's cost about twice that of the ZX-100/110 and I've been able to find several 310's for about $18 at Discount Retailers.  ZX-110's should go for about $10. Specs They are all 30mm Drivers.  The ZX-310 has a wider Frequency Range of 10 ~ 24,000 Hz and a Gold 1/8" Plug.  The ZX-100/110 are roughly identical going 12 ~ 22,000 Hz. Sound (ZX-100 Wins) Surprisingly, I prefer the ZX-100's Sound Signature vs. the 110 and 31

    Casio G-Shock 5600 vs 6900 vs 9000

    Having now owned several G-Shocks I've come to appreciate certain features of various models.  For most part all I care about primarily is 'size'.  Features are secondary and so long as it has World Time, I'm happy. Size (5600 wins) In terms of size the 5600's are my favorite, but the convenience of the illumination button front and center on the 6900 is beautiful. The compromise?  It has to go to the 9000 series Mudman.  While the buttons are difficult to press it is the right size and button arrangement that just connects with me as one of my favorite G-Shocks thus far.  Now Module versions this is probably a bad selection to compare as I have a GLX, G and DW types.  But form factor wise they are roughly equivalent representatives of their model series.  There are certainly much larger G-Shocks, but for me the 6900 is where I will draw the line for now. Features (G9000 Wins, GLX5600 Good Second) Most G-Shocks have the standard basics down pat and all I car

    Eton Microlink FR160 Radio -- Sticky Residue

    I bought an Eton Microlink FR160 Handcrank Radio for my Emergency Kit a few years ago and it's great, except for one thing....over time a sticky residue coats the radio's external surface.  It was driving me nuts and I thought something was wrong. Fortunately, rather than dump it I researched online and learned Eton Radios are coated with a substance to make them easier to grip, but over time it degrades and becomes a sticky mess.  Some isopropyl alcohol and cotton balls can clean most of the gunk.  Some paint maybe lost in the process, but the radio at least is not sticky anymore.