Skip to main content

Adventures in Cocktails 🍹

I’ve been on a Frozen Margarita kick lately and wanted to make my own as it’s getting expensive at the bar.  This is also my first serious attempt at making my own cocktails beyond simple Whisky Highballs.  To start here is the basic components of a classic Margarita recipe.
  • 1.5 oz Tequila (Blanco 100% Agave) 🥃 
  • 1 oz Cointreau 🍊 
  • 0.5 oz Lime Juice 🍋‍🟩 
A Frozen Margarita adds more lime juice and sweetness either from sugary syrup or frozen fruits.

Chapter 1 - Frozen Margaritas

I. Adventures begin with Frozen Margaritas
I’m trying a variety of Margarita recipes and settled on a base and have experimented with the flavoring options.  I’m also learning basic cocktail making techniques to gain a better appreciation for what I normally order at a bar.

II. Budget - It’s cheaper to DIY
It was getting expensive to order frozen margaritas at bars and was spending $8-12 per drink when I can make it at home for about $3.  The main cost is about $2 for the Tequila and Cointreau.  Limes 🍋‍🟩 and fruit 🍍 round out the rest.

III. Recipe - Margarita

A) Base Recipe:
  • 2 oz Tequila (Blanco 100% Agave) 🥃 
  • 1.5 oz fresh squeezed lime 🍋‍🟩 juice
  • 0.5 oz Cointreau 🍊 
B) Syrup Add on:
  • 0.5 oz flavored syrup ( pineapple 🍍)
  • 1 oz simple syrup 
  • 1.5 cups of ice 🧊 
C) Fruit only:
  • 8 oz frozen Pineapple 🍍 
  • 0.5 cups of ice 🧊 
I found the Pineapple 🍍 has enough sweetness and I didn’t need to additional sugar.

IV. Technique Advice

Ice for thickness
How much ice 🧊 determines how thick the frozen margarita will be, but too much can dilute the alcohol.  Also crushed or smaller ice cubes are better than what you get from the freezer, but both are fine and adjust accordingly to make it work.

Using frozen fruit helps on reducing amount of ice 🧊 and less syrup.

Max Extraction from Fresh Limes 🍋‍🟩 
Get a juice squeezer for limes 🍋‍🟩.  Roll limes on a hard surface then cut centerwise.  This should help on extracting the most juice per lime.


V. Bar Ingredient - Make your own Simple Syrup
It’s quite easy and based on online recipes I found the 1:1 ratio of 8 oz water to 8 oz of sugar makes about 12 oz of simple syrup.

Key is to warm up the water and not let it boil.  Treat it the same way you would dissolve sugar in a cup of hot tea.  Keep stirring until it’s clear and presto.  Your own simple syrup.  Let it cool then store in the fridge.

VI. Related Drinks - Daiquiri (the Rum variant)
I’ve learned swapping Tequila and Cointreau with White Rum creates a Daiquiri 🍹.  My past experiences with rum has been it’s very sweet and part of my favorite Cuba Libre (Rum ‘n Coke) so I’d imagine the Daiquiri is just as sweet and the lime juice helps make it more interesting.

Frozen Daiquiri Recipe
  • 2 oz white rum
  • 1.5 oz lime juice 🍋‍🟩 
  • 1 oz simple syrup
  • 1 cup ice 🧊 
Cuba Libre (Rum Cola) Recipe
  • 4 oz Coca Cola 🥤 
  • 2 oz white rum
  • 0.5 oz lime juice 🍋‍🟩 

VII. Next Chapter?  Old Fashioned.
I’ll have to return to my all time favorite, the Old Fashioned.  And made a few thanks to having Simple Syrup on hand and it really is critical in having Angostura classic bitters and a few drops is all you need.

Ill practice next on muddling ice cubes and fruit to make it to my desired specifications and hope to become halfway decent in making a good Old fashioned.

Classic Oldfashioned Recipe
  • 2 oz Bourbon 🥃 
  • 3 dash Angostura bitters
  • 1 sugar cube or 0.25 oz simple syrup
  • 1 orange peel 🍊 
  • 1 luxardo cherry 🍒 
Soak the sugar cube in bitters then muddle.  Zest the orange peel for aromatics and also rub it on the rim of the glass.

For a simple version skip the fruit and sugar cube.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sony MDR-ZX100 vs ZX-110 vs ZX310 Series Headphones

By happenstance I own several Sony ZX Series Headphones: ZX-100 ZX-110 ZX-310 Build Quality (ZX-310 Wins) They use mostly a Plastic Build that is quite durable; the ZX-100 I've had for over 2 1/2 years and been thrown about in my Backpack & Car.  The ONLY issue with the lower model ZX-100 & ZX-110 Series are the crappy Earpads that disintegrate and create a flaky vinyl mess.  Those flakes then get stuck to your ears & hair.  The ZX-310 wins in that regard with much better quality Earpads. Cost (ZX-100/110 Wins) ZX-310's cost about twice that of the ZX-100/110 and I've been able to find several 310's for about $18 at Discount Retailers.  ZX-110's should go for about $10. Specs They are all 30mm Drivers.  The ZX-310 has a wider Frequency Range of 10 ~ 24,000 Hz and a Gold 1/8" Plug.  The ZX-100/110 are roughly identical going 12 ~ 22,000 Hz. Sound (ZX-100 Wins) Surprisingly, I prefer the ZX-100's Sound Signature vs. the 110 and 31

Casio G-Shock 5600 vs 6900 vs 9000

Having now owned several G-Shocks I've come to appreciate certain features of various models.  For most part all I care about primarily is 'size'.  Features are secondary and so long as it has World Time, I'm happy. Size (5600 wins) In terms of size the 5600's are my favorite, but the convenience of the illumination button front and center on the 6900 is beautiful. The compromise?  It has to go to the 9000 series Mudman.  While the buttons are difficult to press it is the right size and button arrangement that just connects with me as one of my favorite G-Shocks thus far.  Now Module versions this is probably a bad selection to compare as I have a GLX, G and DW types.  But form factor wise they are roughly equivalent representatives of their model series.  There are certainly much larger G-Shocks, but for me the 6900 is where I will draw the line for now. Features (G9000 Wins, GLX5600 Good Second) Most G-Shocks have the standard basics down pat and all I car

Eton Microlink FR160 Radio -- Sticky Residue

I bought an Eton Microlink FR160 Handcrank Radio for my Emergency Kit a few years ago and it's great, except for one thing....over time a sticky residue coats the radio's external surface.  It was driving me nuts and I thought something was wrong. Fortunately, rather than dump it I researched online and learned Eton Radios are coated with a substance to make them easier to grip, but over time it degrades and becomes a sticky mess.  Some isopropyl alcohol and cotton balls can clean most of the gunk.  Some paint maybe lost in the process, but the radio at least is not sticky anymore.