Skip to main content

Victorinox Swiss Army Knife - Collection 2021

I've decided to restart my Victorinox Swiss Army Knife Collection for 2021.  I recently acquired an Alox Cadet and now have both a Huntsman and Climber on the way.

I plan to acquire only a few more models and prefer now the Alox for durability and aesthetics.  The plastic scale models will be more for utility and stored away at the office, home and bags.

Current Collection

  1. Swiss Champ
    1. Red // 2011 // Collectible
  2. Trekker
    1. Black // 2011 // BOB bag
  3. Huntsman
    1. Silver Tech // 2016 // EDC rotation
    2. Black // 1979-1985 // Hiking Bag
  4. Cadet
    1. Alox Silver // EDC rotation
  5. Climber
    1. Black // 1979-1985 // Collectible
    2. Traveler // 1979-1985 // Collectible
    3. Hoffritz // 1985-1990 // Collectible
    4. Ruby // 1992-2005 // EDC rotation
  6. Camper
    1. Red // 1999-2005 // Collectible
  7. Spartan 
    1. Red // 2009-2011 // Car
    2. Red // 2009-2011 // Office
    3. Ruby/Sapphire // 2009-2011 // Messenger Bag
  8. Classic
    1. Classic // First Aid
    2. Classic Lite // Collectible

With the Huntsman and Climber on the way, this has freed up several Spartans that are now spares.  I'm still very fond of the Spartan, but finding it greater utility to have 3 or 4 layer knives.

Age of Knives // The Tang...

For those I could verify the tang stamps as well as other features like absence of a hook and screw or rivet on the scissors I was able to guess the general age.  I’m surprised that my Climber might be from the 1970s.  The giveaway is the lack of a Patent emblem on the can opener, oldest it could be is therefore late 1970s.  The Camper is 1990s and rest are 2009 or newer.

Most impressive I can barely tell the difference in age unless I knew about the tang stamps and features.

Future Additions

  1. Pioneer X

While I love the Cadet, I found it uncomfortable to use when opening a bottle of beer.  This was a disappointment as I often relied on my Spartan to open beer bottles with ease.  I'm thinking its due to its smaller size and will have to stick to larger models in the 91 to 93 mm range.

The Pioneer X will become my daily carry and I'll swap between the Climber, Huntsman and Cadet.  Although, I’ll likely carry the Pioneer the most (or so I anticipate).

In theory, I should always have at least 2-3 knives on or near me at all times, which is probably overkill, but better to have an abundance of tools than not have enough.

Update - 4/2/21 - Picked up another Climber (actually a Traveler)

Couldn’t resist and picked up another Climber for a few bucks.  Based on tang stamp and tool layout it looks like another 1979 - 1985 era model.  This one lacks a key ring so after more research realized this is a different model known as a Traveler.  Quite cool.

Update - 4/7/21 - Picked up yet another Climber a Hoffritz

By chance I also won a bid on a Hoffritz Climber.  Based on the details it appears to be a 1985 - 1990 era model.  It’s a bit unfortunate this one is only identifiable as a Hoffritz by the scales and not a tang stamp.  Still an interesting Climber to add to my growing collection.

Update - 4/13/21 - Climber and Huntsman again

Got some newer versions 1992-2005 of the Climber and a vintage Huntsman in different colorways to use for EDC and collectibles.

Costs the same as buying new scales outright.  Might as well get a decent knife with the scales attached.

Hmm...after trying to clean the Huntsman several times, I think only the scales are worth saving.  I’ll keep it all the same when I plan to try my hand at modding.

Update - 4/15/21 - Paths to a Collection 

This also brings my collection to 15 knives of which 7 were purchased within the last few weeks...I’m going to pause my collection for at least a few months as I figure out how and where I want to focus my collecting efforts.

I’ll likely resume collecting by the summer and decide on going either vintage, limited editions and/or try to at least get an example of each current model.

Almost anyone can amass hundreds of mundane and common knives.  I’d prefer to be a collector of a few choice and coveted pieces.  That said I’m considering the following:

  • Super Tinker
  • Explorer
  • Angler or Mechanic
  • Cybertool S
I’m on the fence on the Hiker, Mountaineer, Fieldmaster and Fisherman.  Not clear why I’d opt for the prior than the latter.

For now vintage (early 70s and prior) will not be my emphasis, unless I can get a good deal on a pristine example...but I need to learn more before I seek true vintage pieces.

If I were to get all 8 of the aforementioned and the Pioneer X later...that would cost me around $170 to acquire them all.  Which is roughly $30/month for 6 months.  At year end of 2021, that’ll bring me to 23 pieces, a nice number.

2021 - Tentative Plan:
  • July
    • Explorer
    • Tinker
  • August
    • Super Tinker
    • Fieldmaster
  • September
    • Mountaineer
  • October
    • Cybertool S
  • November
    • Mechanic
  • December
    • Pioneer X
2022 - Tentative Plan
For 2022.  I’m thinking of limiting it to a 8-10 pieces on the same budget of $30/month; $360/year.  And increase my collection to about 31-33 pieces.  I can acquire the remaining basic models then dive into limited editions.
 
Models left:
  1. Compact
  2. Hiker
  3. Deluxe Tinker
  4. Handyman
  5. Cybertool M
  6. Ranger
  7. Alox Farmer
  8. Alox Pioneer
I’m hoping to have about $160 remaining funds to get 4 limited knives.  But it may end up being 1-2 knives as I anticipate one limited could cost $100.  Considering hopping on the Chinese Zodiac or Alox Annual Colors.

End of 2022 Goal: A Training Set
My plan is to have various basic models to learn the characteristics of each to help me then determine which models I want to focus my efforts on rare and special edition versions.
 
Also by the end of 2022, total lifetime expenditures on this hobby will exceed $900.  I want to plan ahead for 2024 when Victorinox may release special models for its 140th anniversary so I'd like to budget some funds in 2023 for 2024.
 
I'll likely maintain a rotation between 4-6 knives and try to acquire more modern knives with different scale designs for the Compact, Super Tinker and Explorer to join my Climber, Huntsman and Pioneer X. 
 
Update 4/21/21 - Minimum Standards
 
So the second Huntsman I recently won and received was in very bad shape and had rust and filth everywhere.  I've been cleaning it for past few days and its starting to look better, but I'm pretty sure I'll never want to use this on anything food related.  Which kinda makes it somewhat useless as it has various openers specific for food (can, bottle, wine, etc).

Update 4/27/21 - 2nd Huntsman - Looking Better
 
The 2nd Huntsman is cleaning up nicely and after several deep cleaning sessions it looks pretty good.  The liners are dinged up so there is no hope there, but the tools are sparkling and with frequent oiling sessions after cleaning, are moving with some even snapping in place like new.

I plan to do a few more cleaning sessions and the 2nd Huntsman should be rehabilitated for use at least in the outdoors, but I wouldn't want to use it on food.

Update - 4/30/21 - Alox Pioneer Aqua Blue 2020
I got a deal on a 2020 LE Alox Pioneer in Aqua Blue.  I’ve decided to change direction and focus on more exclusive and limited edition pieces as my collection now grows to 16 pieces.

I can always get other standard models at anytime, after all they made over 500 million of these knives as of 2017.  Maybe now 600 million by 2021.
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sony MDR-ZX100 vs ZX-110 vs ZX310 Series Headphones

By happenstance I own several Sony ZX Series Headphones: ZX-100 ZX-110 ZX-310 Build Quality (ZX-310 Wins) They use mostly a Plastic Build that is quite durable; the ZX-100 I've had for over 2 1/2 years and been thrown about in my Backpack & Car.  The ONLY issue with the lower model ZX-100 & ZX-110 Series are the crappy Earpads that disintegrate and create a flaky vinyl mess.  Those flakes then get stuck to your ears & hair.  The ZX-310 wins in that regard with much better quality Earpads. Cost (ZX-100/110 Wins) ZX-310's cost about twice that of the ZX-100/110 and I've been able to find several 310's for about $18 at Discount Retailers.  ZX-110's should go for about $10. Specs They are all 30mm Drivers.  The ZX-310 has a wider Frequency Range of 10 ~ 24,000 Hz and a Gold 1/8" Plug.  The ZX-100/110 are roughly identical going 12 ~ 22,000 Hz. Sound (ZX-100 Wins) Surprisingly, I prefer the ZX-100's Sound Signature vs. the 110 and 31

Casio G-Shock 5600 vs 6900 vs 9000

Having now owned several G-Shocks I've come to appreciate certain features of various models.  For most part all I care about primarily is 'size'.  Features are secondary and so long as it has World Time, I'm happy. Size (5600 wins) In terms of size the 5600's are my favorite, but the convenience of the illumination button front and center on the 6900 is beautiful. The compromise?  It has to go to the 9000 series Mudman.  While the buttons are difficult to press it is the right size and button arrangement that just connects with me as one of my favorite G-Shocks thus far.  Now Module versions this is probably a bad selection to compare as I have a GLX, G and DW types.  But form factor wise they are roughly equivalent representatives of their model series.  There are certainly much larger G-Shocks, but for me the 6900 is where I will draw the line for now. Features (G9000 Wins, GLX5600 Good Second) Most G-Shocks have the standard basics down pat and all I car

Eton Microlink FR160 Radio -- Sticky Residue

I bought an Eton Microlink FR160 Handcrank Radio for my Emergency Kit a few years ago and it's great, except for one thing....over time a sticky residue coats the radio's external surface.  It was driving me nuts and I thought something was wrong. Fortunately, rather than dump it I researched online and learned Eton Radios are coated with a substance to make them easier to grip, but over time it degrades and becomes a sticky mess.  Some isopropyl alcohol and cotton balls can clean most of the gunk.  Some paint maybe lost in the process, but the radio at least is not sticky anymore.