Skip to main content

Adidas - Stan Smith’s Review

I'm quite pleased with the Adidas Stan Smith's that I picked up about a week ago for under $40.  I've had them for a full week now and still breaking them in.  At closer inspection these look and feel like classic oxford dress shoes and have a thick leather upper and tongue mated to the rubber sole.  As a result, they are taking a while to break in.

Sizing

I went with a size 9 1/2 and while they are snug, I'm sure as they stretch out a bit they will be perfect and worth the wait than sizing up to a 10.  If you don't plan on wearing them too often, then size them up as it'll take a while to break them in.

Most people also seem to make a similar recommendation to go up a size on the Stan Smith's.  I normally follow that advice as my right foot is slightly wider than my left and usually I rate a shoe on how comfortable it feels on my right side.

Style

These are one of the classics and has a more svelte profile making them fit almost any outfit.  I would rate them between the Converse All-Stars in sharing a narrow profile, but easier to slip on like the chunkier Adidas Superstar.  They are also an excellent substitute for the Nike Air Force 1's, albeit with less elevation.

Build

I'm liking the thick leather uppers and simple flat sole.  I've enjoyed considerable useful life with my Superstars and believe these will last just as long and possibly longer.  But with many of these low cost shoes to hit the low retail prices of below $80 - $100 they had to skimp corners and the stitching and stress points where they attach the upper leather to the sole leave much to be desired.  I’m also quite sure they use synthetic leather for some components.

As a result it can be hit-or-miss in durability depending how well they glued and sewed the pieces together.  I've been lucky with some shoes lasting years, while others fell apart within months even with minimal wear.

Overall

If you can snag the Stan Smith's for $40 or less...these are a must.  They do well in rotation with some other classics like the Superstar, All-Stars and AF1's.

But expect to spend some time breaking them in, otherwise size them up if you don't plan to wear them regularly.

Update 3/27/21 — Long break in period

The Stan Smith’s took about 2-3 weeks to fully break in and after that fit like a glove and are very comfortable and feel almost like a part of my feet as I move about.  Quite good.

The break in period was awful and there were days I questioned this purchase and had to switch to a different pair of shoes as my feet, especially the side of my foot by my small toe would get red and raw.

But now?  Love em.  And best part they stay white and are easier to clean than my AF1.  While the AF1 look better in many ways, these Stan Smith’s are my go-to knockabout pair and I can feel good as I walk past others in their dirty AF1’s or canvas Chuck Taylor’s.

These shoes stay pristine white.  Just some baby wipes for a quick once over.

Update - 4/26/21 — 2 Month Review?

It’s going on over 2 months since I invested in the Stan’s and so far they’ve held up quite well.  They still look quite good (with regular wiping) and feel immaculate on the feet.

My one criticism, I was playing some basketball (don’t ask) and someone stepped hard on the top toe box and scuffed the white leather.  It tore a bit and showing a dark discoloration, I think whatever the material beneath the top layer was exposed by the tear.  I’ll likely use some white paint or something to patch it up.  Maybe some old school white out.

Lesson learned, these shoes don’t like anyone stepping on them.

Update - 6/5/21 - 3 Month Review

These shoes are not so great in the summer as the thick leather construction retains heat and don't breathe as well.  I had to swap over to my Superstar's.

The Stan Smith's would be great in the fall and cooler climates if you want to keep you feet warm, but bad choice for hot weather.

Another problem I'm encountering is the toe box picks up tears and scratches that are starting to degrade the white leather surface.  I'm starting to see the value of the rubber clam shell covering of the Superstar's.

In the end...I may have to pick up another pair of Superstar's and limit my use of the Stan Smith's for the autumn and winter months.

Update - 4/23/22 - 14 month review

Yes, it’s probably time to replace this pair of Stan Smith’s, but I find them still very comfortable and usually pick them for the weekend so I’m thinking they are still okay to use as I wear them at most 2-3 times a week and maybe 4-6 miles a day of walking.

I’ll likely experiment with these shoes later on various ways to restore the white color before retiring them for a new pair.

Overall, not bad.  I’m liking the Stan Smith’s for casual footwear.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sony MDR-ZX100 vs ZX-110 vs ZX310 Series Headphones

By happenstance I own several Sony ZX Series Headphones: ZX-100 ZX-110 ZX-310 Build Quality (ZX-310 Wins) They use mostly a Plastic Build that is quite durable; the ZX-100 I've had for over 2 1/2 years and been thrown about in my Backpack & Car.  The ONLY issue with the lower model ZX-100 & ZX-110 Series are the crappy Earpads that disintegrate and create a flaky vinyl mess.  Those flakes then get stuck to your ears & hair.  The ZX-310 wins in that regard with much better quality Earpads. Cost (ZX-100/110 Wins) ZX-310's cost about twice that of the ZX-100/110 and I've been able to find several 310's for about $18 at Discount Retailers.  ZX-110's should go for about $10. Specs They are all 30mm Drivers.  The ZX-310 has a wider Frequency Range of 10 ~ 24,000 Hz and a Gold 1/8" Plug.  The ZX-100/110 are roughly identical going 12 ~ 22,000 Hz. Sound (ZX-100 Wins) Surprisingly, I prefer the ZX-100's Sound Signature vs. the 110 and 31

Casio G-Shock 5600 vs 6900 vs 9000

Having now owned several G-Shocks I've come to appreciate certain features of various models.  For most part all I care about primarily is 'size'.  Features are secondary and so long as it has World Time, I'm happy. Size (5600 wins) In terms of size the 5600's are my favorite, but the convenience of the illumination button front and center on the 6900 is beautiful. The compromise?  It has to go to the 9000 series Mudman.  While the buttons are difficult to press it is the right size and button arrangement that just connects with me as one of my favorite G-Shocks thus far.  Now Module versions this is probably a bad selection to compare as I have a GLX, G and DW types.  But form factor wise they are roughly equivalent representatives of their model series.  There are certainly much larger G-Shocks, but for me the 6900 is where I will draw the line for now. Features (G9000 Wins, GLX5600 Good Second) Most G-Shocks have the standard basics down pat and all I car

Eton Microlink FR160 Radio -- Sticky Residue

I bought an Eton Microlink FR160 Handcrank Radio for my Emergency Kit a few years ago and it's great, except for one thing....over time a sticky residue coats the radio's external surface.  It was driving me nuts and I thought something was wrong. Fortunately, rather than dump it I researched online and learned Eton Radios are coated with a substance to make them easier to grip, but over time it degrades and becomes a sticky mess.  Some isopropyl alcohol and cotton balls can clean most of the gunk.  Some paint maybe lost in the process, but the radio at least is not sticky anymore.