Skip to main content

Types of Adidas Track Jackets

I couldn't find a guide on the various types of Adidas Track Jackets as there appears to be several variations.  These are my personal notes based on observations and for most part I noticed 6 characteristics to look for:

  1. Logo - there are slight differences based on the specific model of Track Jacket.
  2. Material - most are either pure Polyester or a Cotton-Poly Blend (generally 50/50)
  3. Collar - track jackets generally zip up to a pop-up collar, other styles like the Superstar lack a collar.
  4. Sleeve Stripes - most have the standard 3 stripes running length of each sleeve.
  5. Full Zip - these open in the front with a full zipper.  I'm skipping those quarter-zip varieties of jackets for now.
  6. Front Zip Pockets - these usually have 2 front pockets that zip up.

Non-Trefoil Varieties

Typically these have no logo or use the triple stripe triangle logo and will call the Tiro Style.  They are also usually pure 100% polyester, but I've seen a few Cotton/Poly blends.

  1. Essentials - Adidas lettering only.  Also called the Tricot or Tricot Track (TT).
  2. Tiro - Adidas lettering with triple stripe triangle logo above.
  3. Core - Tiro Style Logo.  Main difference is a single stripe running length of each sleeve.
  4. Condivo - Tire Style Logo.  No collar and bomber/varsity style like a Superstar SST.  The stripes on the sleeves usually are the same color as the jacket and more subdued.
Trefoil Varieties

These generally use the trefoil logo and generally follow the Firebird logo layout.  They vary in composition on the Cotton/Poly Blend ranging from 30/70, 40/60, 50/50 and so on.  There are also some that are pure 100% Polyester.
  1. Firebird - Adidas lettering w/ trefoil above. 
  2. Beckenbauer -  Adidas lettering w/ small trefoil to the right. 
  3. Superstar - Firebird style logo.  Often also included SST in the name.  No pop-up collar and more a bomber/varsity style jacket.  Piping on the front and back in addition to the sleeve stripes.
Nylon
  1. Lock up - Firebird style logo.  100% Nylon.  Additional style difference another trefoil and lettering on the sleeves about a foot above the cuffs.
More Variants
I'm sure there are plenty more varients and sub-styles.  These appear to be the more modern varieties and split between trefoil for the Cotton-Poly blends or the triangle logo for the pure Synthetics.  The Synthetics tend to be much cheaper and Essentials can be found for about $20-30 online almost everyday.

Cotton-Poly's tend to go for at least $50 and closer to full retail.  As I only have Essentials, its hard for me to say why and I'll at least try on a few of the Cotton-Poly blends before considering picking one up.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sony MDR-ZX100 vs ZX-110 vs ZX310 Series Headphones

By happenstance I own several Sony ZX Series Headphones: ZX-100 ZX-110 ZX-310 Build Quality (ZX-310 Wins) They use mostly a Plastic Build that is quite durable; the ZX-100 I've had for over 2 1/2 years and been thrown about in my Backpack & Car.  The ONLY issue with the lower model ZX-100 & ZX-110 Series are the crappy Earpads that disintegrate and create a flaky vinyl mess.  Those flakes then get stuck to your ears & hair.  The ZX-310 wins in that regard with much better quality Earpads. Cost (ZX-100/110 Wins) ZX-310's cost about twice that of the ZX-100/110 and I've been able to find several 310's for about $18 at Discount Retailers.  ZX-110's should go for about $10. Specs They are all 30mm Drivers.  The ZX-310 has a wider Frequency Range of 10 ~ 24,000 Hz and a Gold 1/8" Plug.  The ZX-100/110 are roughly identical going 12 ~ 22,000 Hz. Sound (ZX-100 Wins) Surprisingly, I prefer the ZX-100's Sound Signature vs. the 110 and 31

Casio G-Shock 5600 vs 6900 vs 9000

Having now owned several G-Shocks I've come to appreciate certain features of various models.  For most part all I care about primarily is 'size'.  Features are secondary and so long as it has World Time, I'm happy. Size (5600 wins) In terms of size the 5600's are my favorite, but the convenience of the illumination button front and center on the 6900 is beautiful. The compromise?  It has to go to the 9000 series Mudman.  While the buttons are difficult to press it is the right size and button arrangement that just connects with me as one of my favorite G-Shocks thus far.  Now Module versions this is probably a bad selection to compare as I have a GLX, G and DW types.  But form factor wise they are roughly equivalent representatives of their model series.  There are certainly much larger G-Shocks, but for me the 6900 is where I will draw the line for now. Features (G9000 Wins, GLX5600 Good Second) Most G-Shocks have the standard basics down pat and all I car

Eton Microlink FR160 Radio -- Sticky Residue

I bought an Eton Microlink FR160 Handcrank Radio for my Emergency Kit a few years ago and it's great, except for one thing....over time a sticky residue coats the radio's external surface.  It was driving me nuts and I thought something was wrong. Fortunately, rather than dump it I researched online and learned Eton Radios are coated with a substance to make them easier to grip, but over time it degrades and becomes a sticky mess.  Some isopropyl alcohol and cotton balls can clean most of the gunk.  Some paint maybe lost in the process, but the radio at least is not sticky anymore.