Skip to main content

Dalmore 12 Year Single Malt Scotch Whisky

It's been a while and wanted to try a different Single Malt and heard good things about Dalmore.  I did some basic research and discovered this particular distillery was purchased by Whyte & Mackay who in turn were also bought out by Emperador Inc.  Not that it really matter who owns what anymore as it appears nearly all the Scotch distilleries and brands are owned by several major conglomerates.

In any case, another online review at first shunned Dalmore 12 for it using caramel coloring and cold filtering, but to be honest, it doesn't matter to me as I wouldn't have even known anyway.

First Taste

I was quite pleased by the nose and initial taste.  It has quite a bit going on and a welcome respite from having spent the last few months imbibing bourbons and cheap whisky.  There is something special about a single malt, but one thing that was interesting was how Dalmore coats the tongue and reminds me almost like how Black Velvet has a similar effect.

There is definitely an alcohol burn, but not overwhelming.  It reminds me almost like a Glenlivet 12, if my recollection is consistent and closer to the effect of many bourbons.

In terms of taste, I usually need to wait for a few more tastings and also to try some other things like letting it breathe a bit so I'll hold off, but initial impressions its closer to a Macallan 12 and other Highlands, but not as sweet.

I hope to have a few more tastings tomorrow for Labor Day, as I'm stuck at home and was one of the reasons I wanted to try a decent scotch.

Second Tasting - 9/7/20 - Labor Day

I let it breathe for a few minutes and had a dram.  Overall, the experience was the same as yesterday.  I guess, I’m more fond of peaty malts and this lacks the smokiness of a Highland Park, any Islay or even Johnnie Walker Black.  It’s still quite nice and I’m sure in time it’ll warm up to me.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sony MDR-ZX100 vs ZX-110 vs ZX310 Series Headphones

By happenstance I own several Sony ZX Series Headphones: ZX-100 ZX-110 ZX-310 Build Quality (ZX-310 Wins) They use mostly a Plastic Build that is quite durable; the ZX-100 I've had for over 2 1/2 years and been thrown about in my Backpack & Car.  The ONLY issue with the lower model ZX-100 & ZX-110 Series are the crappy Earpads that disintegrate and create a flaky vinyl mess.  Those flakes then get stuck to your ears & hair.  The ZX-310 wins in that regard with much better quality Earpads. Cost (ZX-100/110 Wins) ZX-310's cost about twice that of the ZX-100/110 and I've been able to find several 310's for about $18 at Discount Retailers.  ZX-110's should go for about $10. Specs They are all 30mm Drivers.  The ZX-310 has a wider Frequency Range of 10 ~ 24,000 Hz and a Gold 1/8" Plug.  The ZX-100/110 are roughly identical going 12 ~ 22,000 Hz. Sound (ZX-100 Wins) Surprisingly, I prefer the ZX-100's Sound Signature vs. the 110 and 31

Casio G-Shock 5600 vs 6900 vs 9000

Having now owned several G-Shocks I've come to appreciate certain features of various models.  For most part all I care about primarily is 'size'.  Features are secondary and so long as it has World Time, I'm happy. Size (5600 wins) In terms of size the 5600's are my favorite, but the convenience of the illumination button front and center on the 6900 is beautiful. The compromise?  It has to go to the 9000 series Mudman.  While the buttons are difficult to press it is the right size and button arrangement that just connects with me as one of my favorite G-Shocks thus far.  Now Module versions this is probably a bad selection to compare as I have a GLX, G and DW types.  But form factor wise they are roughly equivalent representatives of their model series.  There are certainly much larger G-Shocks, but for me the 6900 is where I will draw the line for now. Features (G9000 Wins, GLX5600 Good Second) Most G-Shocks have the standard basics down pat and all I car

Eton Microlink FR160 Radio -- Sticky Residue

I bought an Eton Microlink FR160 Handcrank Radio for my Emergency Kit a few years ago and it's great, except for one thing....over time a sticky residue coats the radio's external surface.  It was driving me nuts and I thought something was wrong. Fortunately, rather than dump it I researched online and learned Eton Radios are coated with a substance to make them easier to grip, but over time it degrades and becomes a sticky mess.  Some isopropyl alcohol and cotton balls can clean most of the gunk.  Some paint maybe lost in the process, but the radio at least is not sticky anymore.