Skip to main content

Converse All Stars vs. Adidas Superstar

White shoes are one of the most versatile items in any wardrobe.  They are about as essential as blue jeans or a black or white T-Shirt.  Granted, white shoes require additional maintenance to keep clean, but are worth the effort considering their utility.

I've owned several pairs of white sneakers over the years between the classics of Nike, Adidas, Converse, Reebok and more, but never really maintained a set after one wore out.  I previously, would keep just one pair of sneakers, no matter the color.

I've since remedied that and embarked on establishing a basic set of the major classics and two of the most iconic are the:

  • Converse All Stars
  • Adidas Superstar

Both come in a variety of colorways, but the ones primarily in white are the ones you would want to invest in first, before trying out new color options.  Both models are so popular, you can easily find them on sale periodically or at a discount retailer.

I got the Converse for about $40 and the Adidas for $20.  Making them inexpensive and well worth the value.

Caution on the Converse (Breaking In Period Needed)

Both models are 'basketball' shoes and you can tell by the intricate patterns on the bottom of the soles.  The Converse is a very old design and probably pushing at least a century in age and as such its based on a very hard rubber sole that can be tough on the feet.

If you are not familiar with Converse, you want to try them out first and get either a 1/2 size bigger due to the toe box and/or wear the shoelaces a bit tighter.  You really want to break the Converse in before attempting to use them on a long walk.  Basically, treat a new pair of Converse like a pair of hard leather dress shoes.

Adidas, are a more modern sneaker and feel a bit plush on the feet so nowhere near as much breaking in period as Converse.

Sleek vs. Chunky

The Adidas is a more chunky shoe and goes well with baggier jeans and clothes.  They work fine with shorts as well.  Converse are more sleek and either with shorts or more tapered pants fit best.

Canvas vs. Leather

Converse are a canvas shoe and therefore not as firm.  This means it takes some time to get them on as you kinda have to glide them on.  Adidas like most modern sneakers are a more firm upper and you can just slip them on and go.

Usually takes me about 30 seconds to get ready with the Converse while its barely 5 seconds with the Adidas.  This often means I opt for the Adidas when I'm in a rush.

Which Ones?

Get them both, if you can.  They are both great and functional for their own niche.  They can usually be found for a very low price making it feasible to acquire both of them.  But if you need to sequence the purchases than I'd go Adidas first then Converse second.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sony MDR-ZX100 vs ZX-110 vs ZX310 Series Headphones

By happenstance I own several Sony ZX Series Headphones: ZX-100 ZX-110 ZX-310 Build Quality (ZX-310 Wins) They use mostly a Plastic Build that is quite durable; the ZX-100 I've had for over 2 1/2 years and been thrown about in my Backpack & Car.  The ONLY issue with the lower model ZX-100 & ZX-110 Series are the crappy Earpads that disintegrate and create a flaky vinyl mess.  Those flakes then get stuck to your ears & hair.  The ZX-310 wins in that regard with much better quality Earpads. Cost (ZX-100/110 Wins) ZX-310's cost about twice that of the ZX-100/110 and I've been able to find several 310's for about $18 at Discount Retailers.  ZX-110's should go for about $10. Specs They are all 30mm Drivers.  The ZX-310 has a wider Frequency Range of 10 ~ 24,000 Hz and a Gold 1/8" Plug.  The ZX-100/110 are roughly identical going 12 ~ 22,000 Hz. Sound (ZX-100 Wins) Surprisingly, I prefer the ZX-100's Sound Signature vs. the 110 and 31

Casio G-Shock 5600 vs 6900 vs 9000

Having now owned several G-Shocks I've come to appreciate certain features of various models.  For most part all I care about primarily is 'size'.  Features are secondary and so long as it has World Time, I'm happy. Size (5600 wins) In terms of size the 5600's are my favorite, but the convenience of the illumination button front and center on the 6900 is beautiful. The compromise?  It has to go to the 9000 series Mudman.  While the buttons are difficult to press it is the right size and button arrangement that just connects with me as one of my favorite G-Shocks thus far.  Now Module versions this is probably a bad selection to compare as I have a GLX, G and DW types.  But form factor wise they are roughly equivalent representatives of their model series.  There are certainly much larger G-Shocks, but for me the 6900 is where I will draw the line for now. Features (G9000 Wins, GLX5600 Good Second) Most G-Shocks have the standard basics down pat and all I car

Eton Microlink FR160 Radio -- Sticky Residue

I bought an Eton Microlink FR160 Handcrank Radio for my Emergency Kit a few years ago and it's great, except for one thing....over time a sticky residue coats the radio's external surface.  It was driving me nuts and I thought something was wrong. Fortunately, rather than dump it I researched online and learned Eton Radios are coated with a substance to make them easier to grip, but over time it degrades and becomes a sticky mess.  Some isopropyl alcohol and cotton balls can clean most of the gunk.  Some paint maybe lost in the process, but the radio at least is not sticky anymore.