Skip to main content

Fountain Pen - Pilot Custom 74 - Soft Fine Nib

I purchased a Pilot Custom 74 w/ Soft Fine Nib for about $70 on Amazon.  I also ordered a Con-70 Ink Converter, but for now am using a standard Blue Ink Cartridge.

Initial Thoughts
The pen is quite nice and naturally better than the Pilot Metropolitans that I've relied on for several months.  But it was somewhat of a let down in how the barrel of the pen curves inward a bit before connecting with the cap.  I would have preferred a nicer fit & finish comparable to the Platinum Century 3776.

The Nib is also much more subdued and almost the exact same size as the Pilot Metropolitan.  Visually, it is more appealing with it's added engraving, but unless you write with it, it looks almost the same as a Metropolitan Nib.

In short, I was hoping for a pen that was both an excellent writer & a bit more ostentatious; like the Platinum 3776.  I probably will have to order a replacement 3776 in Chartres Bleu and likely do so near August of this year (I really miss the 3776).

I'll continue using the Pilot 74 and wait for the Con-70 to try it with the Kon-Peki Ink.  I'm sure with added use I'll grow fond of this pen and perhaps change some of my initial perceptions.

Update 2/11/18
I've enjoyed the Pilot 74 for nearly a week and loaded it with Kon-Peki using the Con-70.  The Converter is a pneumatic type relying on vacuum pressure and takes a while to figure out how to use it, but quite convenient and faster than the standard twist-type of a Con-50 or Con-20 squeeze version.  I'm quite happy I picked the 74 w/ Con-70 in lieu of a piston filler like a Pilot Custom Heritage 92.

It's still writes with some resistance relative to the Metropolitans and not the sort of scratchy feedback I had with a Platinum 3776.  I'm going to let the ink soak in a bit as I just loaded it with Kon-Peki and hoping with repeated use it'll get smoother. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sony MDR-ZX100 vs ZX-110 vs ZX310 Series Headphones

By happenstance I own several Sony ZX Series Headphones: ZX-100 ZX-110 ZX-310 Build Quality (ZX-310 Wins) They use mostly a Plastic Build that is quite durable; the ZX-100 I've had for over 2 1/2 years and been thrown about in my Backpack & Car.  The ONLY issue with the lower model ZX-100 & ZX-110 Series are the crappy Earpads that disintegrate and create a flaky vinyl mess.  Those flakes then get stuck to your ears & hair.  The ZX-310 wins in that regard with much better quality Earpads. Cost (ZX-100/110 Wins) ZX-310's cost about twice that of the ZX-100/110 and I've been able to find several 310's for about $18 at Discount Retailers.  ZX-110's should go for about $10. Specs They are all 30mm Drivers.  The ZX-310 has a wider Frequency Range of 10 ~ 24,000 Hz and a Gold 1/8" Plug.  The ZX-100/110 are roughly identical going 12 ~ 22,000 Hz. Sound (ZX-100 Wins) Surprisingly, I prefer the ZX-100's Sound Signature vs. the 110 and 31

Casio G-Shock 5600 vs 6900 vs 9000

Having now owned several G-Shocks I've come to appreciate certain features of various models.  For most part all I care about primarily is 'size'.  Features are secondary and so long as it has World Time, I'm happy. Size (5600 wins) In terms of size the 5600's are my favorite, but the convenience of the illumination button front and center on the 6900 is beautiful. The compromise?  It has to go to the 9000 series Mudman.  While the buttons are difficult to press it is the right size and button arrangement that just connects with me as one of my favorite G-Shocks thus far.  Now Module versions this is probably a bad selection to compare as I have a GLX, G and DW types.  But form factor wise they are roughly equivalent representatives of their model series.  There are certainly much larger G-Shocks, but for me the 6900 is where I will draw the line for now. Features (G9000 Wins, GLX5600 Good Second) Most G-Shocks have the standard basics down pat and all I car

Eton Microlink FR160 Radio -- Sticky Residue

I bought an Eton Microlink FR160 Handcrank Radio for my Emergency Kit a few years ago and it's great, except for one thing....over time a sticky residue coats the radio's external surface.  It was driving me nuts and I thought something was wrong. Fortunately, rather than dump it I researched online and learned Eton Radios are coated with a substance to make them easier to grip, but over time it degrades and becomes a sticky mess.  Some isopropyl alcohol and cotton balls can clean most of the gunk.  Some paint maybe lost in the process, but the radio at least is not sticky anymore.