Skip to main content

International Trip # 4 - Tokyo via Haneda @ 8,000 Yen/Day

Took advantage of the 3-Day Weekend and went to Tokyo via Haneda Airport.  I hit up six (6) places in my short blitz:
  1. Shinjuku / Kabukicho
  2. Akihabara
  3. Shinagawa/Sengaku-Ji
  4. Ginza
  5. Shibuya
  6. Haneda
I had several objectives for this Trip:
  1. Indulge in my Hobbies (Headphones, Fountain Pens, Shoes, Coffee & Reading)
  2. Finish a Novel
  3. Stay within Budget
  4. Have Fun
I was able to achieve all three, but the best part that made this trip Fun, was I stayed within Budget and got to do most of the things I wanted.

Budget (Rough Approximations)
Took 66,000 Yen with me and only used Cash so it was easy to tell how much I spent as I had 50,000 Yen remaining (5 x 10k Yen Notes).
  • 3,600 Yen -- Lodging
  • 2,000 Yen -- Transportation (Trains)
  • 8,900 Yen -- Food, Drink, Misc
  • 1,500 Yen -- Iroshizuku Ink
  • 16,000 Yen -- TOTAL
I am quite pleased by this as that is roughly $ 75 USD / Day and only in Japan can you enjoy traveling that cheap.  The reason being anywhere else I would have to factor in $200 USD / Day Hotels + $100 USD / Day in Rental Car expenses easily setting me back $400 USD/ Day without having as much fun as I did in Tokyo. 


1. Shinjuku
After arriving, took the Train to Shinjuku and checked into Capsule 510.  Was quite cheap @ 2600 Yen.  This is a very basic Capsule Hotel compared to Nicoh Refre @ Sapporo, but has all the basic things I would need.  I only needed to wash & sleep, so Capsule Hotels are just perfect for me.



Had Dinner at a Sushi Restaurant a few blocks away.  At first it seemed kinda sketchy, but the food was excellent and very cheap.  I gorged on Toro, Hamachi & Maguro; but unfortunately lost all the pictures and only have a few of the Kappa Maki & Tamago.  I wish I knew the name of this place, but it was one of many Sushi joints in Kabukicho.

After that, I just wandered around checking out the area and stopped in a few bars for a drink then went to sleep around Midnight.



2. Akihabara
Woke up early @ 6 am because I drank too much beer the night before.  That usually happens and I was feeling refreshed and ready to go, so I got ready and took the train to Akihabara.  I know nothing is open until 10:30 - 11 am, but just wanted to walk around and enjoy a simple breakfast @ Becks Coffee.



3. Shinagawa / Sengaku-Ji
Got back on the train from Akihabara and headed to Shinagawa then walked about 1 mile to Sengaku-Ji Temple.  This place was made famous by the 47 Ronin Story.  Relaxed here for a good hour or so.  This particular Temple is kinda nice as the way its built you almost don't see anything else of Tokyo and made me feel like I had been transported back in time 200 years.



4. Ginza @ Laduree
Had to stop by Laduree @ Mitsukoshi in Ginza.  Got there right at 10:30 am and scored a Window Seat.  Enjoyed people watching, but to be nice as there were other people wanting this table, I left after 30 minutes.




5. Shibuya
Spent the remainder of the day here (about 5 hours) wandering about.  It's here I wanted to indulge in all my Hobbies:
  1. Headphones - Bic Camera had no deals this time around.  Last time, I scored some Audio Technica's.
  2. Foutain Pens - Tokyu Hands had Iroshizuku Ink (Murasaki Shikibu) @ 1500 Yen!  Sadly, no Pilot Heritage 92 to try out.  They had everything else and was fun to try a Musical Nib.
  3. Shoes - No Onitsuka Tiger Serrano's!  I saw people wearing them, but no store carried them.
  4. People Watching - Starbucks 2nd Floor.  Just awesome, totally relaxed here.
  5. Lunch - Wanted more Sushi, but the line was too long so ate some Bibimbahp.  It was 'okay', but cannot beat Korea.


6. Haneda 
I was pretty tired now and the weather was sweltering.  I debated staying another night, but decided there wasn't much more to do on this trip so I went back to Haneda 4 hours before my flight.  They have these nice Shower Rooms available for 30 mins @ 1030 Yen and took advantage of it.  It's decent, and only wish they provided shower slippers.




After the shower, had an early dinner and was quite disappointed.  The food @ Haneda is a bit expensive and quality is average.  It's hit-or-miss, this particular place was not that good and I was finding bits of Oyster mixed in with the Fish...what is that about?  I was pretty sure I ordered the Tuna Bowl, not the Seafood Bowl...Beer was always excellent.




Haneda does have the greatest angled chairs and I totally zoned out on these while I waited for my flight.  They are angled just enough so you can't fall asleep, but you can kick back and still relax.  Also was able to finish 'Snow Country' before I boarded.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sony MDR-ZX100 vs ZX-110 vs ZX310 Series Headphones

By happenstance I own several Sony ZX Series Headphones: ZX-100 ZX-110 ZX-310 Build Quality (ZX-310 Wins) They use mostly a Plastic Build that is quite durable; the ZX-100 I've had for over 2 1/2 years and been thrown about in my Backpack & Car.  The ONLY issue with the lower model ZX-100 & ZX-110 Series are the crappy Earpads that disintegrate and create a flaky vinyl mess.  Those flakes then get stuck to your ears & hair.  The ZX-310 wins in that regard with much better quality Earpads. Cost (ZX-100/110 Wins) ZX-310's cost about twice that of the ZX-100/110 and I've been able to find several 310's for about $18 at Discount Retailers.  ZX-110's should go for about $10. Specs They are all 30mm Drivers.  The ZX-310 has a wider Frequency Range of 10 ~ 24,000 Hz and a Gold 1/8" Plug.  The ZX-100/110 are roughly identical going 12 ~ 22,000 Hz. Sound (ZX-100 Wins) Surprisingly, I prefer the ZX-100's Sound Signature vs. the 110 and 31

Casio G-Shock 5600 vs 6900 vs 9000

Having now owned several G-Shocks I've come to appreciate certain features of various models.  For most part all I care about primarily is 'size'.  Features are secondary and so long as it has World Time, I'm happy. Size (5600 wins) In terms of size the 5600's are my favorite, but the convenience of the illumination button front and center on the 6900 is beautiful. The compromise?  It has to go to the 9000 series Mudman.  While the buttons are difficult to press it is the right size and button arrangement that just connects with me as one of my favorite G-Shocks thus far.  Now Module versions this is probably a bad selection to compare as I have a GLX, G and DW types.  But form factor wise they are roughly equivalent representatives of their model series.  There are certainly much larger G-Shocks, but for me the 6900 is where I will draw the line for now. Features (G9000 Wins, GLX5600 Good Second) Most G-Shocks have the standard basics down pat and all I car

Eton Microlink FR160 Radio -- Sticky Residue

I bought an Eton Microlink FR160 Handcrank Radio for my Emergency Kit a few years ago and it's great, except for one thing....over time a sticky residue coats the radio's external surface.  It was driving me nuts and I thought something was wrong. Fortunately, rather than dump it I researched online and learned Eton Radios are coated with a substance to make them easier to grip, but over time it degrades and becomes a sticky mess.  Some isopropyl alcohol and cotton balls can clean most of the gunk.  Some paint maybe lost in the process, but the radio at least is not sticky anymore.