Skip to main content

The Temple of Dawn - Yukio Mishima

It was surprisingly difficult to find some books by famous novelists at several local bookstores and by chance I stumbled across a small used bookstore that had the mother lode in terms of many great works I've been wanting to read from Mishima, Chekhov, Hemingway and more...all for a low price!  For now I restricted myself to just three (3) books and one of them is by Yukio Mishima 'The Temple of Dawn'.

This is the 3rd book in his 4-part epic 'The Sea of Fertility' that was to be some of his last published works before his abrupt death.  While I would have liked to start from the beginning, they only had this one available and it proved an excellent choice.

For starters, it's a mere 330 pages (much shorter than a Tolstoy colossus) and surprisingly the first few chapters read more like a Traveler's Guide as the main character Mr. Honda travels from Thailand to India and back to Japan with very detailed descriptions of the life & culture of each of these exotic locales.  It renews my desire for more International traveling and those are all places on my bucket list.

'The Temple of Dawn' is full of some noteworthy quotables and in many ways also reads like Mishima's musings on various Philosophical & Religious concepts & ideas.  In a sense he is attempting to craft his Point of View of the World.  My particular favorites so far:

  1. The reason why young men patter on about the future so was simply that they didn't yet have it.  Possessing by letting go of things was a secret of ownership unknown to youth.  (Page 17-18).

  2. Actually, except for natural calamities, historical events occurred, no matter how unexpected they might seem, only after long maturation. (Page 20).
  3. Single-mindedness often gives rise to viciousness. (Page 34).
Update - Finished the Book
There is something surprisingly refreshing after you Finish reading a Novel.  Maybe its a sense of accomplishment, even though its for something rather small.  I found this book a fairly easy read and while he added quite a bit of Cultural & Historical context that required me to look it up via Wikipedia, it helped me better understand the overall point of the story.

The point?  There isn't one really.  All those years, the multiple of characters and events boiled down a somewhat meaningless conclusion that life exists and then it ends.  Perhaps Anti-Climactic, but similar to what I've observed in other books.

In a sense, because there is no point, there is no reason for 'Meanness' or 'Cruelty' and absent any Religious or Philosophical reasoning, in a sense these sorts of negative actions just are exhaustive in terms of energy expended and rather the pursuit of things opposite seem naturally more inclined to human nature & understanding.

But what an intense feeling to be done.  Now I want to read another book and continue this epic rush. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sony MDR-ZX100 vs ZX-110 vs ZX310 Series Headphones

By happenstance I own several Sony ZX Series Headphones: ZX-100 ZX-110 ZX-310 Build Quality (ZX-310 Wins) They use mostly a Plastic Build that is quite durable; the ZX-100 I've had for over 2 1/2 years and been thrown about in my Backpack & Car.  The ONLY issue with the lower model ZX-100 & ZX-110 Series are the crappy Earpads that disintegrate and create a flaky vinyl mess.  Those flakes then get stuck to your ears & hair.  The ZX-310 wins in that regard with much better quality Earpads. Cost (ZX-100/110 Wins) ZX-310's cost about twice that of the ZX-100/110 and I've been able to find several 310's for about $18 at Discount Retailers.  ZX-110's should go for about $10. Specs They are all 30mm Drivers.  The ZX-310 has a wider Frequency Range of 10 ~ 24,000 Hz and a Gold 1/8" Plug.  The ZX-100/110 are roughly identical going 12 ~ 22,000 Hz. Sound (ZX-100 Wins) Surprisingly, I prefer the ZX-100's Sound Signature vs. the 110 and 31

Casio G-Shock 5600 vs 6900 vs 9000

Having now owned several G-Shocks I've come to appreciate certain features of various models.  For most part all I care about primarily is 'size'.  Features are secondary and so long as it has World Time, I'm happy. Size (5600 wins) In terms of size the 5600's are my favorite, but the convenience of the illumination button front and center on the 6900 is beautiful. The compromise?  It has to go to the 9000 series Mudman.  While the buttons are difficult to press it is the right size and button arrangement that just connects with me as one of my favorite G-Shocks thus far.  Now Module versions this is probably a bad selection to compare as I have a GLX, G and DW types.  But form factor wise they are roughly equivalent representatives of their model series.  There are certainly much larger G-Shocks, but for me the 6900 is where I will draw the line for now. Features (G9000 Wins, GLX5600 Good Second) Most G-Shocks have the standard basics down pat and all I car

Eton Microlink FR160 Radio -- Sticky Residue

I bought an Eton Microlink FR160 Handcrank Radio for my Emergency Kit a few years ago and it's great, except for one thing....over time a sticky residue coats the radio's external surface.  It was driving me nuts and I thought something was wrong. Fortunately, rather than dump it I researched online and learned Eton Radios are coated with a substance to make them easier to grip, but over time it degrades and becomes a sticky mess.  Some isopropyl alcohol and cotton balls can clean most of the gunk.  Some paint maybe lost in the process, but the radio at least is not sticky anymore.