Skip to main content

MCSA 70-462 - SQL Server 2012 Administrator

I'm halfway through the next book in the MCSA SS 2012 certification path; 70-462 SQL Server 2012 Administrator.  Fortunately, I have done quite a bit of what the book discusses already at work when I built a Web App from scratch and also deploying quite a few vendor solutions that run on SQL Server.  Kinda cool and I guess in a way better I read the book 'after' I did the practical hands on.  Makes more sense when reading as if second-nature; or so I hope.  I'll bum rush through the rest of the book and sit for the second exam possibly as early as this coming Friday or next week.  However, a lot of this is geared more towards a DBA, which is not my professional goal, but hey better to learn a bit than none at all?

Study Plan
  • 1/19 - Chapter 1
  • 1/20 - Chapter 2
  • 1/22 - Chapter 3
  • 1/23 - Chapter 4, 5, 6
  • 1/24 - Chapter 7, 8, 9
  • 1/25 - Chapter 10
  • 1/26 - Chapter 11
  • 1/27 - Chapter 12
  • 1/28 - 2/4 - Exam Prep
  • 2/5 - Exam - Failed - 678 / 700
  • 3/5 - Exam - Failed - 679 / 700
  • 4/1 - Exam - PASSED!! 810/700

1/23 -- Saturday -- On Schedule!
Done with 6 and saving 7 - 9 for Sunday. If I can squeeze in more all the better and prep, prep, prep for Exam.  Likely do some case studies on the test system.


1/24/16 - Sunday
Went to McDonald's @ Noon for a coffee and finished Chapter 7 in about 90 minutes.

Sunday Mini Schedule
12 - 1:30 pm -- Chapter 7
2 - 3:30 pm -- Chapter 8
4 - 5:30 pm -- Chapter 9
6 - 7:30 pm -- Chapter 10 (if I'm up for it...)
A bit behind....starting Chapter 9 @ 5 pm...keep going my friend.


1/25 - Chapter 10 - Indexes
This chapter looks a lot like what I covered in the prior book, I'll skim a bit and focus on new topics that pop up.



1/26 - Done Reading
I finished Chapter 11 & 12.  11 was interesting as it discussed Backups and while I did mostly Full/Incremental, it shared some other options and details.  For 12 it's Code Case Studies and not really anything to 'read'.  I did the 1st Code Case Study and answered the 20 questions and for most part understand what its trying to teach.  I went ahead and started the CD exam practice and will drill through those until Exam Time.  But based on what I experienced from the 1st Exam (70-461) the CD questions nowhere near as difficult as the real exam questions so I'll go through the book and online read what people have to say.  For me conceptually, I want to both read and understand the code and general steps taken to perform various tasks.  Wish me luck.

2/5/16
Bummer, failed the exam.  Was close at 678, needed 700!  I recall 19 questions I flagged for review as I was stumped and was stuck on simple things.  Need to review as I was tired and got confused things like Revoke vs Deny for User Security and other concepts.  I'll study some more and try again.  I will go ahead and study for the next exam and take both back to back.  I'll refresh for this one as I know what I missed and will practice at work those steps to grill it into my head.

3/15/16
Been studying ever since.  My game plan is to read the book again, do the questions and review my notes based on what I recall from the exam.

12 chapters - 7 days
Exam prep - 3 days

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sony MDR-ZX100 vs ZX-110 vs ZX310 Series Headphones

By happenstance I own several Sony ZX Series Headphones: ZX-100 ZX-110 ZX-310 Build Quality (ZX-310 Wins) They use mostly a Plastic Build that is quite durable; the ZX-100 I've had for over 2 1/2 years and been thrown about in my Backpack & Car.  The ONLY issue with the lower model ZX-100 & ZX-110 Series are the crappy Earpads that disintegrate and create a flaky vinyl mess.  Those flakes then get stuck to your ears & hair.  The ZX-310 wins in that regard with much better quality Earpads. Cost (ZX-100/110 Wins) ZX-310's cost about twice that of the ZX-100/110 and I've been able to find several 310's for about $18 at Discount Retailers.  ZX-110's should go for about $10. Specs They are all 30mm Drivers.  The ZX-310 has a wider Frequency Range of 10 ~ 24,000 Hz and a Gold 1/8" Plug.  The ZX-100/110 are roughly identical going 12 ~ 22,000 Hz. Sound (ZX-100 Wins) Surprisingly, I prefer the ZX-100's Sound Signature vs. the 110 and 31

Casio G-Shock 5600 vs 6900 vs 9000

Having now owned several G-Shocks I've come to appreciate certain features of various models.  For most part all I care about primarily is 'size'.  Features are secondary and so long as it has World Time, I'm happy. Size (5600 wins) In terms of size the 5600's are my favorite, but the convenience of the illumination button front and center on the 6900 is beautiful. The compromise?  It has to go to the 9000 series Mudman.  While the buttons are difficult to press it is the right size and button arrangement that just connects with me as one of my favorite G-Shocks thus far.  Now Module versions this is probably a bad selection to compare as I have a GLX, G and DW types.  But form factor wise they are roughly equivalent representatives of their model series.  There are certainly much larger G-Shocks, but for me the 6900 is where I will draw the line for now. Features (G9000 Wins, GLX5600 Good Second) Most G-Shocks have the standard basics down pat and all I car

Eton Microlink FR160 Radio -- Sticky Residue

I bought an Eton Microlink FR160 Handcrank Radio for my Emergency Kit a few years ago and it's great, except for one thing....over time a sticky residue coats the radio's external surface.  It was driving me nuts and I thought something was wrong. Fortunately, rather than dump it I researched online and learned Eton Radios are coated with a substance to make them easier to grip, but over time it degrades and becomes a sticky mess.  Some isopropyl alcohol and cotton balls can clean most of the gunk.  Some paint maybe lost in the process, but the radio at least is not sticky anymore.